Our house, known as the Pepper house, was built around 1852 as the Manse for the Christiansburg Presbyterian Church. Reverend Nicholas Chevalier is thought to have been the first resident of the house. The house features an interesting molded brick cornice and is believed to have been built by the well-known builder, David Deyerle. The American and Flemish bond brickwork of the building is made of bricks that, according to oral tradition, were made on the property and fired in an earthen kiln. Support beams and joists are of hewn oak. The rafters are of logs planed on one side and secured by dowel pins. After the Civil War, the house was sold to the Pepper family, who made many additions and alterations through their long ownership. The property was acquired in 1983 by the Montgomery Museum and Lewis Miller Regional Art Center, Inc.
History of the Pepper House pdf (Time line, photos, plot map)