1903 (103 East Main Street)
St. Thomas Episcopal Church began as a congregation in 1856 at the home of Jeremiah Kyle. They held services in the old Methodist Church after the Methodists moved to a new building on Franklin Street in 1855. The first services at a newly constructed Episcopal church building were held in 1889. On January 13, 1903, that church was destroyed by fire. The communion silver, some furniture, collection plates, and baptismal font were saved from the flames. The current church was built on the parish lot by Morris C. Miller starting in 1903. St. Thomas Episcopal Church was named for the New York parish of Mrs. Daniel T. Hoag, who contributed funds to the 1880s building. The 1903 structure was built in the Gothic Revival style with beautiful interior wooden trusses, a bell cote, and arched doors and windows.
St. Thomas Episcopal Church and the old Episcopal Manse