1933 (10 West Main Street)
The Proffitt Building was contracted by brothers W. K. and S. G. Proffitt and built by A. P. Snead. It was completed in 1933 and became the new home of Miller Drugs until the shop closed in 1980. It has a subtle Art Deco design with a modern replacement storefront. Another long-standing tenant of the Proffitt Building was the Western Auto Store, an auto parts company. Western Auto operated in this space originally before moving next door.
1916 (20 West Main Street)
The building next door to the Proffitt Building on the right was built in 1916, but the building’s façade most likely dates to the mid-twentieth century and the entrance is also a modern replacement. From its construction until the late 1970s, the building was home to the William L. Pierce Insurance Agency. Kroger Grocery inhabited the building from 1932 to 1956 before moving further down the street the next year. During the Civil War, there was a Confederate commissary building on the site, which was burned by Federal troops.
West Main Street c. 1940s, showing the Miller Drug Co. and Western Auto in the Proffitt Building.