1911/1919-22 (4-6 West Main Street)
The motor company building was constructed by Morris C. Miller in 1911 on the site of the old Central Park Hotel. A third story was added between 1919 and 1922, when the building adjacent was also constructed. That building housed the Virginia Inn Hotel, “The House of Good Coffee,” from 1922 to 1969. The motor company building housed three Ford dealerships over the years: the Barnes-Surface Motor Company from 1919-1920, Surface-Angle Motor Co. from 1920-1932, and the Christiansburg Motor Corp. from 1932-1945. After that, the building held the Farm Supply Center, John W. Poff Appliances, then the Fashion House Furniture store. Fashion House opened in 1962, expanded into the adjacent hotel in 1969, and closed in 2002.
Barnes-Surface Motor Co., before the addition of the 3rd floor & hotel building c. 1911-1919.